Friday, July 3, 2015

The Drop by Michael Connelly

The Drop is the seventeenth title in Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series and, I’m embarrassed to admit, the first one that I’ve read. Despite jumping in so deep into the series, I was happy to find out that The Drop was easy to follow and not bogged down by back stories from previous installments.


The Drop finds Bosch, a detective for the Los Angeles Police Department, investigating the death of the son of a prominent city councilman and working on a reopened 1989 rape and murder case. The strange thing about the rape and murder case is that the DNA found on the body was from an eight year old. Could an eight year old have actually done something like this? Was a major mistake made at the crime lab? Twists and turns abound in this case. It also thoughtfully explores why some victims of crime grow up to be criminals themselves.

The case involving the councilman’s son isn’t quite as engaging, but this has more to do with all the layers and the shocking ending of the rape and murder case than Connelly doing a poor job exploring what happened to the councilman’s son. I’m not sure if I’m going to go back and read all the books in the Harry Bosch series, but considering the way The Drop pulled me in I’m sure this won’t be the last Michael Connelly novel I read.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment