Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman

Cover imageLet me start off by saying, to be fair, that I read this immediately after I read The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. So of course, if you compare the two, this is lukewarm. I believe much of this story was fashioned after the original, but of course done with a very different style and a lot more technology. The Accidental Time Machine is the story of an underachieving and mildly depressed M.I.T. grad student, Matt. He discovers that a machine he built can actually "jump" through time. After a series of experiments, Matt decides to give it a go. Off he goes into a very, very strange future, with a religious dictatorship in the U.S., dinosaurs, talking bears, and lots of A.I.s. Did I mention that there are two Jesus Christ figures in his travels?

This novel was entertaining, but I would recommend the classic if you want to travel through time.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment